Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Mangalore was established in 1955, as a constituent institution of Manipal University. The KMC is operating the clinical facilities of the Government Wenlock Hospital and Government Lady Goschen Hospital. In 1961, the College has started the pre-clinical section in Mangalore and bcame an independent unit in 1977.
The infrastructural facilities are equivalent to global standards with seven big air-conditioned lecture halls fitted with modern audiovisual teaching supports including multi-media projectors and a modern, fully air-conditioned library with a seating capacity of about 500, and with broadband internet facility. The library has over 10,000 books, articles, newspapers, magazines, research papers and subscribes to more than 350 journals annual basis.
There is also Medical Education Unit which offered Orientation program for students, interns and postgraduates, and also provides resource material for the teaching faculty members.
The Medical Council of India, with the first graduating class of KMC, granted recognition in 1958. The KMC is Recognition by the General Medical Council of Great Britain (GMCGB) and the Malaysian Medical Council (MMC) soon followed